Can I replace my old silver fillings with white fillings?
29 September 2023
Are you considering the switch from old silver fillings to the more discreet and aesthetically pleasing white fillings? The decision to replace dental fillings is not a simple one, and there are several factors to consider.
About Dental Fillings
Dental fillings are a common restorative dental treatment used to repair teeth that have been affected by cavities or damage. Traditionally, silver amalgam fillings have been widely used for their durability and cost-effectiveness. Recently, white fillings, also known as composite or tooth-coloured fillings, have gained popularity due to their natural appearance and potential health benefits.
Why People Replace Their Silver Fillings?
There are several reasons why individuals consider replacing their old silver fillings:
- Aesthetics: Silver fillings are noticeable when you speak or laugh, which can be a concern for those who prefer a more natural look.
- Health Concerns: Some individuals worry about the potential health risks associated with silver fillings containing mercury.
- Fractured or Deteriorated Fillings: Over time, silver fillings can deteriorate, leading to cracks or gaps between the filling and the tooth.
Benefits of White Fillings
White fillings offer several advantages, making them an attractive option for many:
- Natural Appearance: They closely resemble the colour of natural teeth, making them virtually unnoticeable.
- Mercury-Free: White fillings do not contain mercury, addressing concerns about potential health risks.
- Versatility: They can be used for various tooth-colour restorations, including front and back teeth.
- Bonding Strength: White fillings bond directly to the tooth, potentially providing added support.
- Conservative Treatment: Less tooth structure removal is required compared to silver fillings.
Assessing the Need for Replacement
When contemplating the replacement of silver fillings with white ones, a critical step in the decision-making process is the thorough assessment of the need for such a transition. This assessment involves various considerations to determine whether replacing silver fillings with white ones is not only feasible but also beneficial. Below, we outline the key factors that should be taken into account when evaluating the need for this dental change:
- Age and Condition of Existing Fillings: Begin by assessing the age and condition of your current silver fillings. Older fillings may exhibit signs of wear and deterioration, making them more likely candidates for replacement. Conversely, newer fillings may still be functioning optimally.
- Aesthetic Concerns: Consider your aesthetic preferences. If the visibility of silver fillings when you speak or smile bothers you, white fillings offer a more discreet alternative that closely matches the natural colour of your teeth.
- Health-Related Worries: Evaluate any health concerns you may have regarding silver fillings. Some individuals worry about the presence of mercury in silver amalgam fillings, although scientific evidence suggests they are generally safe. If you have specific health worries, discuss them with our dentist to make an informed decision.
- Signs of Deterioration: Examine your silver fillings for any signs of deterioration. This may include cracks, gaps between the filling and the tooth, or changes in the filling’s appearance. Such signs may indicate that replacement is necessary to maintain your dental health.
- Alignment with Your Goals: Reflect on your overall dental goals. If having a more natural and aesthetically pleasing smile aligns with your objectives, transitioning to white fillings can be a positive step.
- Long-Term Considerations: Think about the long-term implications of your decision. While white fillings offer aesthetic benefits, they may require replacement sooner than silver fillings. Weigh these factors carefully.
- Cost Considerations: Evaluate the financial aspects of replacing silver fillings with white ones. Determine if this investment aligns with your budget.
The Replacement Procedure
Replacing silver fillings with white ones involves several steps, including a thorough dental examination, removal of old fillings, tooth preparation, and the placement of the new white fillings. The process may vary depending on individual cases.
- Initial Consultation: Begin by scheduling an initial consultation with our dentist. During this appointment, you can discuss your reasons for wanting to replace the silver fillings and express your expectations.
- Dental Examination: Our dentist will perform a thorough dental examination, including assessing the condition of your existing silver fillings. X-rays may be taken to provide a comprehensive view of your teeth.
- Treatment Plan: Based on the examination findings, our dentist will develop a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. The plan will outline the number of fillings to be replaced and the locations within your mouth.
- Anesthesia: Before the removal of the silver fillings begins, our dentist will administer local anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable and pain-free during the procedure.
- Removal of Silver Fillings: The next step involves carefully removing the old silver fillings. Our dentist will use specialised instruments to safely extract the silver amalgam material. During this process, precautions are taken to minimize mercury exposure.
- Tooth Preparation: Once the silver fillings are removed, the tooth is prepared to receive the white composite filling. This may involve cleaning and shaping the tooth to create an ideal bonding surface.
- Composite Filling Placement: Our dentist will select a shade of composite resin that matches the natural colour of your teeth. The white filling material is then applied in layers, with each layer being hardened using a special curing light. This process ensures a strong bond and a natural appearance.
- Shaping and Polishing: After the composite filling is placed, our dentist will sculpt and shape it to achieve the desired form and contour. The filling is then polished to a smooth finish, making it blend seamlessly with your surrounding teeth.
- Bite Adjustment: Our dentist will check your bite to ensure that it aligns correctly with the newly placed filling. Adjustments may be made to guarantee a comfortable and functional bite.
- Final Evaluation: Our dentist will perform a final evaluation to confirm that the new white filling meets both aesthetic and functional requirements. Any necessary refinements will be made at this stage.
- Post-Treatment Care: You’ll receive instructions on post-treatment care, which may include guidelines on diet and oral hygiene practices. Follow these instructions to maintain the longevity of your white fillings.
Why Choose DS Dental Studio for White Fillings?
Opting for DS Dental Studio for your white fillings guarantees expert care and precision from an experienced dental team. Our personalised approach ensures tailored treatments matching your unique dental needs and natural tooth shade. We utilise high-quality composite resin materials for both aesthetics and durability, minimising discomfort during and after the procedure. Our patient-centric care, comprehensive services, and commitment to your well-being make DS Dental Studio the ideal choice for enhancing your smile and overall dental health, all under one trusted roof.
What Our Patients Say
In addition to English, at the practice we can speak to you in:
We are conveniently located at 📍Unit 201a, Westfield, Ariel Way, London W12 7GA📍Reaching us for dental crowns is straightforward. You’ll find us along Wood Lane, on the outside aspect of Westfield London at Street Level. We are halfway between Shepherds Bush Market and Wood Lane tube stations.
DS Dental Studio is minutes away from four tube stations:
- Wood Lane (Hammersmith & City Line and Circle Line)
- Shepherds Bush Market (Hammersmith & City Line and Circle Line)
- White City (Central Line)
- Shepherds Bush (Central Line)
Shepherds Bush Station is a short walk from DS Dental Studio. Served by London Overground, and Southern with convenient connections at Clapham Junction for journeys from further afield.
Easy parking availability at Westfield London Car Park, on Ariel Way. We are easily signposted from the A40, and if you are using a Sat Nav, use the postcode W12 7SL. Free parking is available for blue badge holders in the middle level car park.
Book A Consultation Now
Simply fill in the following form to book a consultation for Dental Crowns now. Your dream smile awaits.